- Chemistry. of or relating to an atom other than carbon, particularly in a cyclic compound.
- Informal. heterosexual.
- Informal. a heterosexual person.
Origin of hetero
- a combining form meaning “different,” “other,” used in the formation of compound words: heterocyclic.
Origin of hetero-
Examples from the Web for hetero
That being said, it's sort of crazy that the two hot chicks end up sucking face for SO MUCH LONGER than any of the hetero couples.High-End Pervs Film Benedict Cumberbatch and Reese Witherspoon Sucking Face
December 11, 2014
She may wonder why you're so different from other hetero dudes who tend to be more absent-minded about Valentine's Day.Don't Be My Valentine
February 11, 2010
- short for heterosexual
- other, another, or differentheterodyne; heterophony; heterosexual Compare homo-
Word Origin and History for hetero
word-forming element meaning "other, different," from comb. form of Greek heteros "the other (of two), another, different;" first element meaning "one, at one, together," from PIE *sem- "one;" the second cognate with the second element in Latin al-ter, Gothic an-þar, Old English o-ðer "other."
- Other; different:heterocellular.
- A prefix that means different or other, as in heterophyllous, having different kinds of leaves.