- having a desire, craving, or need for food; feeling hunger.
- indicating, characteristic of, or characterized by hunger: He approached the table with a hungry look.
- strongly or eagerly desirous.
- lacking needful or desirable elements; not fertile; poor: hungry land.
- marked by a scarcity of food: The depression years were hungry times.
- Informal. aggressively ambitious or competitive, as from a need to overcome poverty or past defeats: a hungry investment firm looking for wealthy clients.
Origin of hungry
Synonyms for hungrySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for hungry
Related Words for hungrilywillingly, cordially, vigorously, sincerely, promptly, intently, zealously, heartily, gladly, earnestly, energetically, readily, breathlessly, actively, hungrily, impatiently, enthusiastically, ardently, fervently, longingly
Examples from the Web for hungrily
Contemporary Examples of hungrily
I hungrily devoured this wild conspiratorial narrative, eager to be a young Jedi in the rebellion against the evolutionary Empire.I’m a Christian, and Ken Ham Doesn’t Speak for Me
February 5, 2014
The most photographed, hungrily consumed woman in a society says as much about us as about her.Amis vs. "Two Bags of Silicone"
November 8, 2009
Historical Examples of hungrily
Percival read them all hungrily, disregarding those that did not confirm his own opinions.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
No other woman since the world began had been so fit for love, had yearned for it so hungrily.The Bacillus of Beauty
Hungrily I peered after them up the long cavernous docksheds.The Harbor
"Sure, an' I've a mind to reach up there an' grab that sandwich," he said hungrily.A Yankee Flier Over Berlin
Her own mouth, for that matter, had taken his kisses--and hungrily, or he was no judge of kissing.Nobody
Louis Joseph Vance
- desiring food
- experiencing pain, weakness, or nausea through lack of food
- (postpositive foll by for) having a craving, desire, or need (for)
- expressing or appearing to express greed, craving, or desire
- lacking fertility; poor
- Australian and NZ informal
- greedy; grasping
- stingy; mean
- NZ (of timber) dry and bare