- not possible; unable to be, exist, happen, etc.
- unable to be done, performed, effected, etc.: an impossible assignment.
- incapable of being true, as a rumor.
- not to be done, endured, etc., with any degree of reason or propriety: an impossible situation.
- utterly impracticable: an impossible plan.
- hopelessly unsuitable, difficult, or objectionable.
Origin of impossible
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for impossibly
It was something quite unique, impossibly velvet and probably never to be repeated.How Havel Inspired the Velvet Revolution
December 6, 2014
We met on the third floor of a shabby building in Asadabad in an impossibly spare room that we dragged cushions into.Heart of Darkness: Into Afghanistan’s Taliban Valley
Matt Trevithick, Daniel Seckman
November 15, 2014
Impossibly, even through thick glass, I felt a twinge of vertigo.Philippe Petit’s Moment of Concern Walking the WTC Tightrope
August 8, 2014
This continues until an impossibly huge amount of ice cream is compressed into the pint.Dr. Mike’s Makes the Best Ice Cream on Earth
Jane & Michael Stern
July 27, 2014
A riot of leaves walls off a bend in the river, a curtain of vines cascades from impossibly tall mango trees.Uncovering the Secrets of St. Kitts
Debra A. Klein
June 21, 2014
Lockwood, not impossibly, would have said it was 'to do a bit of walking' he had come.Lord Kilgobbin
Not impossibly the newspapers, though I suspect they did not employ the familiarity you speak of.Tony Butler
Charles James Lever
There was a haunting familiarity about the impossibly beautiful features.The Ideal
Stanley Grauman Weinbaum
The impossibly corpulent one, Don Mathers vaguely recognized.Medal of Honor
Dallas McCord Reynolds
If, as you say, you have lived for centuries impossibly, how have you done it?The Wizard's Son, Vol. 2(of 3)
- incapable of being done, undertaken, or experienced
- incapable of occurring or happening
- absurd or inconceivable; unreasonableit's impossible to think of him as a bishop
- informal intolerable; outrageousthose children are impossible