- not solvent; unable to satisfy creditors or discharge liabilities, either because liabilities exceed assets or because of inability to pay debts as they mature.
- pertaining to bankrupt persons or bankruptcy.
- a person who is insolvent.
Origin of insolvent
Synonyms for insolventSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for in-solventindebted, bankrupt, broke, strapped, failed, underprivileged, poverty-stricken, needy, meager, penniless, low, impoverished, destitute, indigent, insolvent, poor, exhausted, distressed, barren, supplicant
- (of a person, company, etc) having insufficient assets to meet debts and liabilities; bankrupt
- of or relating to bankrupts or bankruptcy
- a person who is insolvent; bankrupt
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper