- originating in and characteristic of a particular region or country; native (often followed by to): the plants indigenous to Canada; the indigenous peoples of southern Africa.
- innate; inherent; natural (usually followed by to): feelings indigenous to human beings.
Origin of indigenous
Synonyms for indigenous
Antonyms for indigenous
- originating or occurring naturally (in a country, region, etc); native
- innate (to); inherent (in)
Word Origin for indigenous
1640s, from Late Latin indigenus "born in a country, native," from Latin indigena "sprung from the land," as a noun, "a native," literally "in-born," or "born in (a place)," from Old Latin indu "in, within" (earlier endo) + *gene-, root of gignere (perf. genui) "beget," from PIE *gen- "produce" (see genus).
- Native to a particular region or environment but occurring naturally in other places as well. The American black bear is indigenous to many different parts of North America. Compare alien endemic.