- situated below some other organ.
- (of a calyx) inserted below the ovary.
- (of an ovary) having a superior calyx.
- lower in place or position; situated beneath another.
- toward the feet.Compare superior(def 9).
- inferential statistics,
- inferior alveolar nerve,
- inferior anastomotic vein,
- inferior artery of knee,
- inferior basal vein,
- inferior cerebellar peduncle
Origin of inferior
Examples from the Web for inferiorly
It is in relation, anteriorly and inferiorly, with the posterior ulnar muscle.Artistic Anatomy of Animals|douard Cuyer
Inferiorly, a transverse incision must be made through the crico-thyreoid or crico-tracheal membrane, or lower in the trachea.
These cavities are bounded superiorly by the sphenoid and 390 ethmoid bones; inferiorly, by the hard palate.
- orbiting or occurring between the sun and the earthan inferior planet; inferior conjunction
- lying below the horizon
Word Origin for inferior
"person inferior to another in rank, etc.," early 15c., from inferior (adj.).
early 15c., of land, "low, lower," from Latin inferior "lower, further down" (also used figuratively), comparative of inferus (adj.) "that is below or beneath," from infra "below" (see infra-). Meaning "lower in degree, rank, or importance" is from 1530s; also in an absolute sense, "of low quality or rank."