- not submitting to authority; disobedient: an insubordinate soldier.
- not lower.
- a person who is insubordinate.
Origin of insubordinate
SynonymsSee more synonyms for insubordinate on Thesaurus.com
1. refractory, defiant, insolent.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for insubordinates
As an example to insubordinates he, at the request of the pope, burnt some of the singers along with their books.History of the Intellectual Development of Europe, Volume I (of 2)
John William Draper
- not submissive to authority; disobedient or rebellious
- not in a subordinate position or rank
- an insubordinate person
Word Origin and History for insubordinates
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper