- to crossbreed (a plant or animal).
- to cause to breed together.
- to crossbreed.
- to breed or mate with a closely related individual, as in a small, closed population.
Origin of interbreed
Related Words for interbreddifferent, diverse, varied, carnal, incorporate, mingle, associate, blend, fuse, infuse, stir, weave, disordered, alloyed, united, assorted, motley, diversified, tied, conglomerate
Examples from the Web for interbred
Historical Examples of interbred
It is highly probable, however, that after introduction into this country as a domestic animal it has interbred with the Wild Cat.The Cambridge Natural History, Vol X., Mammalia
Frank Evers Beddard
Here it may be worth while to say a few words about the general belief that dogs in Alaska are interbred with wolves.Ten Thousand Miles with a Dog Sled
This species and the spotted deer have interbred, and the hybrid progeny survived.
They have interbred with the Arabs to some extent, but have preserved in a marvellous way their individuality as a race.The Black Box
E. Phillips Oppenheim
This animal has bred in captivity, and has also interbred with domestic cattle.
- (intr) to breed within a single family or strain so as to produce particular characteristics in the offspring
- another term for crossbreed (def. 1)