- to crossbreed (a plant or animal).
- to cause to breed together.
- to crossbreed.
- to breed or mate with a closely related individual, as in a small, closed population.
Origin of interbreed
Related Words for interbreedincorporate, mingle, associate, blend, fuse, infuse, stir, weave, amalgamate, synthesize, jumble, braid, transfuse, instill, intermingle, tangle, suffuse, knead, cross, unite
Examples from the Web for interbreed
Historical Examples of interbreed
One of the definitions of species is that they will not interbreed and propagate.The Other Side of Evolution
Notwithstanding their similarity they do not interbreed when brought together.
My experience tends to show that the two species will not interbreed.
Or will the two make peace, unite and interbreed, make war on us?Student Body
Floyd L. Wallace
The flock was allowed to wander at will and to interbreed freely.The Black Fawn
James Arthur Kjelgaard
- (intr) to breed within a single family or strain so as to produce particular characteristics in the offspring
- another term for crossbreed (def. 1)