- to produce (a hybrid); hybridize.
- to undertake or engage in hybridizing; hybridize.
- a crossbred.
Origin of crossbreed
Related Words for crossbreedcombination, amalgam, bastard, mixture, cur, hybrid, cross, mutt, half-breed, crossbreed, mule, mongrel, hodgepodge, mishmash, medley, blend, conglomeration, compound, miscegenation, half-caste
Examples from the Web for crossbreed
Contemporary Examples of crossbreed
He is a Himalayan-Persian crossbreed who lives with his owners Anne Marie Avey and Eric Rosario in Los Angeles.
Historical Examples of crossbreed
The leashes were slipped, and the greyhounds went off like the wind, but the crossbreed remained quietly by the horses.
But Ralph Waldo is a crossbreed—part Boston bull and part snapping turtle.Sundry Accounts
Irvin S. Cobb
- Also: interbreed to breed (animals or plants) using parents of different races, varieties, breeds, etc
- the offspring produced by such a breeding
- To produce a hybrid animal or plant by breeding two animals or two plants of different species or varieties. For example, crossbreeding a male donkey with a female horse will produce a mule.
- An animal or a plant produced by breeding two animals or plants of different species or varieties; a hybrid.