- to produce (a hybrid); hybridize.
- to undertake or engage in hybridizing; hybridize.
- a crossbred.
Origin of crossbreed
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for crossbreed
He is a Himalayan-Persian crossbreed who lives with his owners Anne Marie Avey and Eric Rosario in Los Angeles.
The leashes were slipped, and the greyhounds went off like the wind, but the crossbreed remained quietly by the horses.
But Ralph Waldo is a crossbreed—part Boston bull and part snapping turtle.Sundry Accounts
Irvin S. Cobb
- Also: interbreed to breed (animals or plants) using parents of different races, varieties, breeds, etc
- the offspring produced by such a breeding
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- To produce a hybrid animal or plant by breeding two animals or two plants of different species or varieties. For example, crossbreeding a male donkey with a female horse will produce a mule.
- An animal or a plant produced by breeding two animals or plants of different species or varieties; a hybrid.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.