- the capital of Pakistan, in the N part, near Rawalpindi.
- Islamic Republic of, a republic in S Asia, between India and Afghanistan: formerly part of British India; known as West Pakistan from 1947–71 to distinguish it from East Pakistan (now Bangladesh). 310,403 sq. mi. (803,881 sq. km). Capital: Islamabad.
- (before 1947) the predominantly Muslim areas of the peninsula of India as distinguished from Hindustan, the predominantly Hindu areas.
Examples from the Web for islamabad
Contemporary Examples of islamabad
The police state system that propped up dictators from Algiers to Islamabad for decades was unsustainable.Why’s Al Qaeda So Strong? Washington Has (Literally) No idea
November 9, 2014
On March 1, the Islamabad government cut a deal with the Taliban.Pakistan’s Deal With the Devil And The Taliban Shadow Surge
April 5, 2014
Skardu is a 20- to 24-hour drive from Islamabad via the Karakoram Highway.It’s a Big, Big World: Sights That Make You Feel Small
December 24, 2013
Ever since then Karzai has been pushing Islamabad hard in order to gain access to him.Freed Taliban Prisoners in Pakistan and Afghanistan Return to Jihad
Ron Moreau & Sami Yousafzai
December 6, 2013
He focuses much of his attention on a third war, often simmering under the surface, between Washington and Islamabad.“Now we wonder why this has all gone so wrong.”
November 26, 2013
Historical Examples of islamabad
Islamabad was "as filthy a place as can well be imagined, and swarming with beggars."Kashmir
Sir Francis Edward Younghusband
But that Buddhist beyond Islamabad—you shall hear now what he said.The Ninth Vibration And Other Stories
L. Adams Beck
The town of Islamabad is called also by its ancient name Anant-nag (“eternal snake”).
Adjoining the tanks is a small pleasure garden, with some buildings which are inhabited by the Maharajah when he visits Islamabad.Three Months of My Life
J. F. Foster
At Islamabad it is a very small stream, but it gradually enlarges, by additions from both sides, as it descends.Western Himalaya and Tibet
- the capital of Pakistan, in the north on the Potwar Plateau: site chosen in 1959; surrounded by the Capital Territory of Islamabad for 909 sq km (351 sq miles). Pop: 770 000 (2005 est)
- a republic in S Asia, on the Arabian Sea: the Union of Pakistan, formed in 1947, comprised West and East Pakistan; East Pakistan gained independence as Bangladesh in 1971 and West Pakistan became Pakistan; a member of the Commonwealth from 1947, it withdrew from 1972 until 1989; contains the fertile plains of the Indus valley rising to mountains in the north and west Official language: Urdu. Official religion: Muslim. Currency: rupee. Capital: Islamabad. Pop: 193 238 868 (2013 est). Area: 801 508 sq km (309 463 sq miles)
- a former republic in S Asia consisting of the provinces of West Pakistan and East Pakistan (now Bangladesh), 1500 km (900 miles) apart: formed in 1947 from the predominantly Muslim parts of India
Word Origin and History for islamabad
south Asian nation formed 1947 by division of British India, the name apparently proposed 1930s by Muslim students at Cambridge University, first element said to be an acronym from Punjab, Afghanistan and Kashmir, three regions envisioned as forming the new state, which also made a play on Iranian pak "pure." For second element, see -stan. Related: Pakistani (1941).