- a hollowed pumpkin with openings cut to represent human eyes, nose, and mouth and in which a candle or other light may be placed, traditionally made for display at Halloween.
- a commercially made lantern resembling this.
- any phenomenon of light, as a corona discharge or an ignis fatuus.
- a poisonous luminescent orange fungus, Omphalotus olearius, often found in clusters at the base of hardwood tree stumps.
Origin of jack-o'-lantern
First recorded in 1655–65
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a lantern made from a hollowed pumpkin, which has holes cut in it to represent a human face
- a will-o'-the-wisp or similar phenomenon