- of or relating to the island of Java, its people, or their language.
- a member of the native Malayan people of Java, especially of that branch of it in the central part of the island.
- the Austronesian language of central Java.
Origin of Javanese
Examples from the Web for javanese
Historical Examples of javanese
They carry the Dutch flag, are commanded by Arabs, and manned by Javanese.Trade and Travel in the Far East
G. F. Davidson
Rice culture is the natural pursuit of the Javanese or Sundanese native.
The spelling of the Javanese names and words has been a matter of some difficulty.
Two forms of modern Javanese are employed in everyday speech.
Everywhere, the male Javanese carry the kris or native knife in the girdle.Across the Equator
Thomas H. Reid
- of, relating to, or characteristic of Java, its people, or the Javanese language
- plural -nese a native or inhabitant of Java
- a Malayo-Polynesian language of Central and Eastern Java