- Informal. a word that is hard to pronounce.
- a very hard, usually round, candy.
- Also called jaw crusher. Mining. a machine used to break up ore, consisting of a fixed plate and a hinged jaw moved by a toggle joint.
Origin of jawbreaker
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for jaw-breaker
In fact, she almost did forget them once or twice at moments when Janet McFadden was busy sucking the jaw-breaker.A Little Question in Ladies' Rights
- Also called: jawcrusher a device having hinged jaws for crushing rocks and ores
- informal a word that is hard to pronounce
Word Origin and History for jaw-breaker
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper