- a king of Israel noted for his furious chariot attacks. II Kings 9.
- (lowercase) a fast driver.
- (lowercase) the driver of a cab or coach.
Examples from the Web for jehus
Historical Examples of jehus
The delivery-wagons and their Jehus were the only things that moved fast in Wakefield, now as then.In a Little Town
Many of the strikers were acting as Jehus of improvised stages.Port O' Gold
Louis John Stellman
Ay, it binna on'y the nose, 't binna on'y the nose, with his Jehus an' such.In Clive's Command
Jehus of all races and classes raise the dust of Halpin Road in dogcarts, landaus, and motor-cars.A Civil Servant in Burma
Herbert Thirkel White
The Swan allured the gentlefolk of the county, the coach-and-four people, Jehus of light curricles, and riders of blooded horses.Lewis Rand
- Old Testament the king of Israel (?842–?815 bc); the slayer of Jezebel (II Kings 9:11–30)
- a fast driver, esp one who is reckless (from the phrase to drive like Jehu . II Kings 9:20)
"fast, skillful driver," 1680s, from Jehu, a king of Israel in the Old Testament, who "driveth furiously" (II Kings ix:20).