- a native or inhabitant of the former country of Yugoslavia.
- a southern Slav; a member of the southern group of Slavic peoples.Compare Slav.
- of or relating to the Yugoslavs.
Origin of Yugoslav
Examples from the Web for jugoslav
Historical Examples of jugoslav
That the unity and independence of the Jugoslav Nation is considered of vital importance by Italy.
Jugoslav lyric poetry is divided into several groups, as, for instance, one grouping contains poems concerning marriage.
The love songs of the Jugoslav lands have a dreamy, calm and exalted sweetness that reminds us of the Alps and the Cevennes.
The western world has already heard of the rich mine of Jugoslav folk-literature.
For a Jugoslav girl to have been seen in company with an Italian sailor would have meant her social ostracism, if nothing worse.The New Frontiers of Freedom from the Alps to the gean
Edward Alexander Powell
- (formerly) a native, inhabitant, or citizen of Yugoslavia (sense 1 or 2)
- (not in technical use) another name for Serbo-Croat (def. 1)
- (formerly) of, relating to, or characteristic of Yugoslavia (sense 1 or 2) or its people
1853, from Slav + Serbo-Croatian jugo- "south," comb. form of jug "south, south wind, noon," from Old Church Slavonic jugu.