or la-de-da, lah-di-dah
- (used as an expression of derision directed at affected gentility or pretentious refinement.)
- affected; pretentious; foppish: a la-di-da manner.
- an affected or pretentious person.
- behavior or speech characterized by affected or exaggerated gentility.
Origin of la-di-da
First recorded in 1880–85; derisive imitation of affected, pseudo-elevated speech
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for lah-di-dah
Jack used to say there was too much of the lah-di-dah about him, and was down on him time and again.Captain Macedoine's Daughter
- informal a variant spelling of la-di-da
lah-di-dah or la-de-da
- informal affecting exaggeratedly genteel manners or speech
- a la-di-da person
C19: mockingly imitative of affected speech
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for lah-di-dah
mocking of affected gentility, 1874, in derisive imitation of "swell" way of talking.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper