- a shack or shed supported at one side by trees or posts and having an inclined roof.
- a roof of a single pitch with the higher end abutting a wall or larger building.
- a structure with such a roof.
Origin of lean-to
Examples from the Web for lean-to
Historical Examples of lean-to
I guess I'll take my bed up there; that lean-to is awful hot.Good Indian
B. M. Bower
Arizona galloped her up to the house and rounded the lean-to in which Joe slept.
And while these things were going on Arizona and Joe shared the hospitality of the lean-to.
With this object in view she went down-stairs and visited the lean-to.
Billy kept to his lean-to, when away from the government house.Janet of the Dunes
Harriet T. Comstock
- a roof that has a single slope with its upper edge adjoining a wall or building
- a shed or outbuilding with such a roof