- a brand of clothing, especially blue jeans.
Compare blue jeans.
[lee-vahy, ley-vee; for 5 also lee-vee]
- a son of Jacob and Leah. Gen. 29:34.
- one of the 12 tribes of Israel, traditionally descended from him.
- original name of Matthew(def 1).
- a Levite.
- a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “a joining.”
- Car·lo [kahr-law] /ˈkɑr lɔ/, 1902–75, Italian painter and writer.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- trademark jeans, usually blue and made of denim
- Old Testament
- the third son of Jacob and Leah and the ancestor of the tribe of Levi (Genesis 29:34)
- the priestly tribe descended from this patriarch (Numbers 18:21–24)
- New Testament another name for Matthew the apostle
- Carlo. 1902–75, Italian physician, painter, and writer. Best known for his novel Christ Stopped at Eboli (1947), his other works include The Watch (1952) and Words are Stones (1958)
- Primo (ˈpriːməʊ). 1919–87, Italian novelist. His book If This is a Man (1947) relates his experiences in Auschwitz. Other books include The Periodic Table (1956) and The Drowned and the Saved (1988), published after his suicide
- Judaism a descendant of the tribe of Levi who has certain privileges in the synagogue service
Word Origin and History for levi's
masc. proper name, biblical son of Jacob by Leah, from Hebrew lewi, literally "joining, pledging, attached," from stem of lawah "he joined."
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper