- the quality or state of being liberal, as in behavior or attitude.
- a political or social philosophy advocating the freedom of the individual, parliamentary systems of government, nonviolent modification of political, social, or economic institutions to assure unrestricted development in all spheres of human endeavor, and governmental guarantees of individual rights and civil liberties.
- (sometimes initial capital letter) the principles and practices of a liberal party in politics.
- a movement in modern Protestantism that emphasizes freedom from tradition and authority, the adjustment of religious beliefs to scientific conceptions, and the development of spiritual capacities.
Origin of liberalism
Examples from the Web for liberalists
Historical Examples of liberalists
There are liberalists and spiritual republicans even in Africa.
He allows no liberalists to remain in Paris, if he can help it.Pencillings by the Way
N. Parker Willis
Riesser further managed to have the Jewish question placed on the programme of the liberalists.History of the Jews, Vol. V (of 6)
They are liberalists, without any serious convictions, and cosmopolites without any home affections.
The liberalists and thinkers of the age expected great things from a people thus fortunately conditioned and circumstanced.
- liberal opinions, practices, or politics
- a movement in modern Protestantism that rejects biblical authority