- the quality or state of being liberal, as in behavior or attitude.
- a political or social philosophy advocating the freedom of the individual, parliamentary systems of government, nonviolent modification of political, social, or economic institutions to assure unrestricted development in all spheres of human endeavor, and governmental guarantees of individual rights and civil liberties.
- (sometimes initial capital letter) the principles and practices of a liberal party in politics.
- a movement in modern Protestantism that emphasizes freedom from tradition and authority, the adjustment of religious beliefs to scientific conceptions, and the development of spiritual capacities.
Origin of liberalism
Related Words for liberalismliberalism, liberal, leftist, indulgence, magnanimity, sensitivity, understanding, leniency, patience, mercifulness, toleration, altruism, lenity, benevolence, endurance, grace, humanity, permission, compassion, liberality
Examples from the Web for liberalism
Contemporary Examples of liberalism
Sometimes democracy and liberalism are about speaking up about the great issues, like a massive foreign war.A Few Great Men Too Many: Aaron Sorkin Doesn’t Think You Can Handle the Truth
December 21, 2014
From its founding in 1914, The New Republic has been the flagship and forum of American liberalism.Facebook Prince Purges The New Republic: Inside the Destruction of a 100-Year-Old Magazine
December 5, 2014
Liberalism in the United States today is the politics that dares not speak its name.American Dreams: How Bush Shaped Our Reading of Roth’s ‘The Plot Against America’
November 23, 2014
Usually, though, old-fashioned Liberalism is very much at the fore in Puck.The Magazine That Made—and Unmade—Politicians
November 2, 2014
Even so, Maher has identified a problem within Western liberalism today.Bill Maher 1, Ben Affleck 0
October 5, 2014
Historical Examples of liberalism
I was ashamed of him, and sick of Liberalism, as I sat there.The Coryston Family
Mrs. Humphry Ward
A Liberalism worthy of the word should lift its head and see new paths.Another Sheaf
Adelaide had a Federation-wide reputation for left-wing neo-Marxist "liberalism."Oomphel in the Sky
Henry Beam Piper
Even the dreadful Hamidian tyranny could not kill Turkish liberalism.The New World of Islam
They call us Rationalists; take care you don't fall into Liberalism.Loss and Gain
John Henry Newman
- liberal opinions, practices, or politics
- a movement in modern Protestantism that rejects biblical authority