- a state officer next in rank to a governor, who takes the governor's place in case of the latter's absence, disability, or death.
- British. a deputy governor.
- the executive officer of a Canadian province appointed by the governor general.
Origin of lieutenant governor
Examples from the Web for lieutenant governor
Historical Examples of lieutenant governor
He also prepared and submitted a scheme to the Lieutenant-Governor.
This was a revelation to the Lieutenant-Governor, and set him thinking.
Suddhoo says that God will make me a Lieutenant-Governor one of these days.The Lock And Key Library
News of the mutiny was at once sent to Lieutenant-Governor Paterson.Rdan The Devil And Other Stories
He sent for the only lawyer in town whom the Lieutenant-Governor had told him could be trusted.The Clansman
- a deputy governor
- (in the US) an elected official who acts as deputy to a state governor and succeeds him if he dies
- lieutenant-governor (in Canada) the representative of the Crown in a province: appointed by the federal government acting for the Crown