- plural of limes.
- a boundary, especially the fortified border or frontier of a country.
- (initial capital letter) Siegfried Line.
- an ancient Roman frontier fortification.
Origin of limes
1530–40; < Latin līmes; see limit
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the fortified boundary of the Roman Empire
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A boundary, limit, or threshold.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.