- extending high in the air; of imposing height; towering: lofty mountains.
- exalted in rank, dignity, or character; eminent.
- elevated in style, tone, or sentiment, as writings or speech.
- arrogantly or condescendingly superior in manner; haughty: to treat someone in a lofty manner.
- Nautical. noting a rig of a sailing ship having extraordinarily high masts.
- (of fabric or yarn) thick and resilient.
Origin of lofty
Synonyms for loftySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for lofty
Related Words for loftiestcapital, chief, crack, crowning, culminating, dominant, elite, excellent, fine, finest, first, first-class, first-rate, foremost, head, highest, lead, leading, maximal, maximum
Examples from the Web for loftiest
Contemporary Examples of loftiest
The loftiest noses among the winemakers inhale the finest of scents from the tasting glass and proclaim another masterpiece.Napa’s Earthquake Is Not The Only Thing Shaking The Vineyards
August 31, 2014
He was something of a dictator, though always cloaking his ambition in the loftiest of Christian terms.The Devil and Woodrow Wilson: An Interview With Joyce Carol Oates
March 19, 2013
Historical Examples of loftiest
Guanahani was low; Cat Island is the loftiest of the Bahamas.
The speech was calm but filled with the loftiest sentiments.Personal Recollections of a Cavalryman
J. H. (James Harvey) Kidd
It was to him only a grand invention of humanity in its loftiest development.David Elginbrod
It rested on the loftiest cliffs of the island, and there they fixed their residence.The Indian Fairy Book
He chose the loftiest branch of the loftiest oak in the forest."Wee Tim'rous Beasties"
- of majestic or imposing height
- exalted or noble in character or nature
- haughty or supercilious
- elevated, eminent, or superior