- strong, persistent desire or craving, especially for something unattainable or distant: filled with longing for home.
- an instance of this: a sudden longing to see old friends.
- having or characterized by persistent or earnest desire: a longing look.
Origin of longing
Synonyms for longing
1. See desire.
Antonyms for longing
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for longingness
Contemporary Examples of longingness
So how does this longingness for acceptance and attention by a male figure a true feminist make?Miss Piggy Leans In
March 23, 2014
- a prolonged unfulfilled desire or need
- having or showing desire or needa longing look
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for longingness
"yearning, desire," Old English langung "longing, weariness, sadness, dejection," from long (v.). Related: Longingly.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper