- a mirror made of glass with a metallic or amalgam backing.
- the glass used in a mirror.
- anything used as a mirror, as highly polished metal or a reflecting surface.
Origin of looking glass
First recorded in 1520–30
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a mirror, esp a ladies' dressing mirror
- with normal or familiar circumstances reversed; topsy-turvya looking-glass world
sense 2 in allusion to Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking-Glass