CHALLENGE YOURSELF WITH THESE WORDS FROM "LITTLE WOMEN"
Idioms for loss
- at less than cost; at a financial loss.
- in a state of bewilderment or uncertainty; puzzled; perplexed: We are completely at a loss for an answer to the problem.
Origin of loss
OTHER WORDS FROM losspre·loss, noun
Words nearby loss
Example sentences from the Web for losses
So do losses, such as the widespread legalization of same-sex marriage.
The rest of the losses came in Romney red states, plus purple North Carolina (where Sen. Kay Hagan lost by only 1.7 percent).
And my opinion is that each time we will see that, the losses will increase.Vilified Bitcoin Tycoon After Losing $500 Million: My Life Is at Risk|Nathalie-Kyoko Stucky|September 17, 2014|DAILY BEAST
After the losses that left virtually no American family untouched, the outcome of the war remained uncertain.Atlanta’s Fall Foretold The End Of Civil War Bloodshed|Marc Wortman|September 1, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Their passion for turning their losses into service assured us the leap would be worth it.Motherless Daughters and Parentless Parents Trek to the Andes to Aid Orphans|Allison Gilbert|August 21, 2014|DAILY BEAST
No word yet about the losses except that they have been heavy.Gallipoli Diary, Volume I|Ian Hamilton
Yet when the ebb came, and men began to count their losses, there were but few to record.Uppingham by the Sea|John Henry Skrine
Lola, it seems, resents highly any imputation upon her good name, and demands proof of her losses.
The losses suffered by the Germans were heavy not only during the battle, but on the preceding days.Raemaekers' Cartoon History of the War, Volume 3|Louis Raemaekers
These prisoners also all agreed in setting down the Zulu losses on the 28th and 29th at 3000 men.The Story of the Zulu Campaign|Waller Ashe
British Dictionary definitions for losses
- an occurrence of something that has been insured against, thus giving rise to a claim by a policyholder
- the amount of the resulting claim
- uncertain what to do; bewildered
- rendered helpless (for lack of something)at a loss for words
- at less than the cost of buying, producing, or maintaining (something)the business ran at a loss for several years
Word Origin for loss
Idioms and Phrases with losses
see at a loss; cut one's losses; dead loss.