- visible to the naked eye.Compare microscopic(def 1).
- pertaining to large units; comprehensive.
Origin of macroscopic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for macroscopically
Historical Examples of macroscopically
- large enough to be visible to the naked eyeCompare microscopic
- comprehensive; concerned with large units
- physics capable of being described by the statistical properties of a large number of parts
Also called: megascopic
Word Origin for macroscopic
C19: see macro-, -scopic
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Large enough to be perceived or examined by the unaided eye.
- Relating to observations made by the unaided eye.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.