- so small as to be invisible or indistinct without the use of the microscope: microscopic organisms.Compare macroscopic.
- very small; tiny.
- of, relating to, or involving a microscope: microscopic investigation.
- very detailed; meticulous: a microscopic view of society.
- suggestive of the precise use of the microscope; minute: microscopic exactness.
Origin of microscopic
Related Words for microscopicimperceptible, teeny, infinitesimal, negligible, atomic, invisible, minuscule, diminutive, little, minute, wee
Examples from the Web for microscopic
Contemporary Examples of microscopic
Other methane is exhaled by microscopic organisms directly, as in the human gut.Methane on Mars: Life or Just Gas?
Matthew R. Francis
December 17, 2014
After all, not every county medical examiner can spot CTE on microscopic slides.Will the NCAA Let Ohio State’s Kosta Karageorge Die in Vain?
December 1, 2014
But there is another curiosity about the microscopic attention that is paid to civilian casualties.U.S. Drone Program Needs to Be Accompanied by Hard Facts on Civilian Deaths
November 8, 2013
How could anyone do all this without leaving behind a scintilla of microscopic evidence?Stop Calling It Murder
September 10, 2011
The microscopic attention paid to her stumbles likely has much to do with that impossible yardstick of perfection.Everybody Hates Natalie
Joyce C. Tang
March 6, 2011
Historical Examples of microscopic
The Ma was at least half the size of the slate, while Heman was microscopic; but, alas!Meadow Grass
You have had time to examine your prize in microscopic fashion.The Gorgeous Girl
The microscopic test of the distribution of alkali in the blood.Histology of the Blood
He sees human nature with an eye which is at once broad and microscopic.My Contemporaries In Fiction
David Christie Murray
The entire box was filled with notes in German in a microscopic hand.The Forbidden Trail
less commonly microscopical
- not large enough to be seen with the naked eye but visible under a microscopeCompare macroscopic
- very small; minute
- of, concerned with, or using a microscope
- characterized by or done with great attention to detail
- Too small to be seen by the unaided eye but large enough to be studied under a microscope.
- Of, relating to, or concerned with a microscope.
- Being or characterized as exceedingly small; minute.