- a large computer, often the hub of a system serving many users.
Origin of mainframe
Related Words for mainframeexecutive, administration, board, authority, head, upstairs, brass, directorate, mainframe, bosses, clone, brain, calculator, mini, laptop, minicomputer, CPU, PC, mac
Examples from the Web for mainframe
Contemporary Examples of mainframe
With some maneuvering, he and Tron take over the MCP and kill Sark, proving they're the most badass guys in the mainframe.
Just like he was lasered into the mainframe, Flynn is beamed out, with proof that Dillinger stole the videogames he invented.
Historical Examples of mainframe
Since the poem was written, the darker side of personal and mainframe computers has given the poem a more sinister meaning.The Little Daisy Girl and other poems
- a high-speed general-purpose computer, usually with a large storage capacity
- (as modifier)mainframe systems
- the central processing unit of a computer
- A large, often powerful computer, usually dedicated to lengthy, complex calculations or set up for use by many people simultaneously. Compare personal computer.