- a member of any of various peoples native to the island of Madagascar.
- the Austronesian language of Madagascar.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for malagasy
Andrianòro tried this device in the Malagasy story; but it was unsuccessful.The Science of Fairy Tales
Edwin Sidney Hartland
“Nothing here,” said the leading man, of course in Malagasy.
Of course Mark said this in remarkably bad Malagasy, but Mamba understood.
My Malagasy words are few, but love does not require many words!
The host smiled as he turned over the leaves of a Malagasy hymn-book.
- plural -gasy or -gasies a native or inhabitant of Madagascar
- the official language of Madagascar belonging to the Malayo-Polynesian family
- of or relating to Madagascar, its people, or their language
Word Origin and History for malagasy
"pertaining to Madagascar," large island off the coast of Africa, 1835, apparently a native alteration of Madagascar.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper