- Also called Man·hat·tan Is·land. an island in New York City surrounded by the Hudson, East, and Harlem rivers. 13½ miles (22 km) long; 2½ miles (4 km) greatest width; 22¼ sq. mi. (58 sq. km).
- a borough of New York City approximately coextensive with Manhattan Island: chief business district of the city.
- a city in NE Kansas, on the Kansas River.
- (often lowercase) a cocktail made of whiskey and sweet vermouth, usually with a dash of bitters and a maraschino cherry.
Examples from the Web for manhattan
Contemporary Examples of manhattan
The detectives learned early on that Brinsley had arrived by bus in Manhattan.Exclusive: Inside a Cop-Killer’s Final Hours
December 31, 2014
A little over a week ago, a group of people marched down the streets of Manhattan and called for police to be killed.The Monsters Who Screamed for Dead Cops
December 23, 2014
He swiped one of them to get from midtown Manhattan to Brooklyn.Alleged Cop Killer Ismaaiyl Brinsley Had a Death Wish
December 22, 2014
Her dance career was taking off, though, and she was now managing a very well-known dance studio in Manhattan.Dungeons and Genital Clamps: Inside a Legendary BDSM Chateau
December 20, 2014
It was the last really elegant shop of it kind left in Manhattan.The Bookstore That Bewitched Mick Jagger, John Lennon, and Greta Garbo
December 16, 2014
Historical Examples of manhattan
Mauburn felt the rock foundations of Manhattan Island to be crumbling to dust.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
Hundreds of those deadly bombs must have burst in Manhattan alone.Spawn of the Comet
Harold Thompson Rich
You'll be Jasper Begg that sailed the lady's yacht Manhattan?The House Under the Sea
Sir Max Pemberton
Yes, it was a far cry from the African jungles to populous Manhattan.
In seventy-two hours he has wrecked the morale of Manhattan.
- an island at the N end of New York Bay, between the Hudson, East, and Harlem Rivers: administratively (with adjacent islets) a borough of New York City; a major financial, commercial, and cultural centre. Pop: 1 537 195 (2000). Area: 47 sq km (22 sq miles)
- a mixed drink consisting of four parts whisky, one part vermouth, and a dash of bitters
main island of New York City, from Dutch, from a native name, perhaps representing a Delaware (Algonquian) source akin to Munsee munahan "island." Bright favors Munsee /e:nta menahahte:nk/ "where one gathers bows." As the name of a cocktail made of vermouth, whiskey, and a dash of bitters, it is attested from 1890 (in Manhattan cocktail).