- having qualities traditionally ascribed to men, as strength or bravery.
- pertaining to or suitable for males: manly sports.
- Archaic. in a manly manner.
Origin of manly
Synonyms for manly
Antonyms for manly
Related Words for manliestnoble, vigorous, bold, masculine, virile, macho, self-reliant, heroic, manlike, manful, audacious, brave, colt, confident, daring, dauntless, dignified, fearless, firm, gallant
Examples from the Web for manliest
Contemporary Examples of manliest
Then Dustykatt, the manliest Brony in the world, drinks a beer.Inside the Bizarre World of ‘Bronies,’ Adult Male Fans of ‘My Little Pony’
May 1, 2014
Dawson was the manliest of these men, and to show it, he often smoked right there on stage.A Kiss Goodbye to Richard Dawson
June 4, 2012
Historical Examples of manliest
The honor of a scout will not permit of anything but the highest and the best and the manliest.Boy Scouts Handbook
Boy Scouts of America
Is it not the wisest, the manliest course, to accept the inevitable?The Negro and the Nation
George S. Merriam
There was once a King, and he had a Queen; and he was the manliest of his sex, and she was the loveliest of hers.The Magic Fishbone
He looks like a glad thankful child, and he has the manliest of faces.Rhoda Fleming, Complete
It is one of the wisest, the manliest, and most serviceable I ever read.The Letters of Charles Dickens
- possessing qualities, such as vigour or courage, generally regarded as appropriate to or typical of a man; masculine
- characteristic of or befitting a mana manly sport