- of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or befitting a man; masculine; manly: virile strength.
- having or exhibiting masculine energy, forcefulness, or strength in a marked degree.
- characterized by a vigorous, masculine spirit: a virile literary style.
- of, relating to, or capable of procreation.
Origin of virile
Synonyms for virileSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for virilevibrant, forceful, macho, driving, energetic, lusty, reproductive, robust, sound, strong, vigorous, vital, generative, procreative, red-blooded
Examples from the Web for virile
Contemporary Examples of virile
A living, doddering Lee was far less useful to the pitchfork crowd than a hanged, virile Lee would have been.More South-Bashing!
May 28, 2013
To travel with her, she tapped Charles Powell, also tall and virile but only 47, “a smoothy” she called him.The Sexy Side of Maggie: How Thatcher Used Her Softer Quality
January 11, 2012
Historical Examples of virile
Virile nations are not made by theories or by the blast of the trumpet.The Truth About Woman
C. Gasquoine Hartley
It towered up there beautiful, strong, virile, and fruitful.
Serge felt more powerful and virile on seeing her so humble.
He must be master of a lucid, virile, attractive literary style.College Teaching
He has the smiling eyes and virile air of his English father.Wintry Peacock
D. H. Lawrence
- of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an adult male
- (of a male) possessing high sexual drive and capacity for sexual intercourse
- of or capable of copulation or procreation
- strong, forceful, or vigorous
Word Origin for virile
late 15c., from Old French viril, from Latin virilis "of a man, manly," from vir "a man, a hero," from PIE *uiHro "freeman" (cf. Sanskrit virah, Avestan vira-, Lithuanian vyras, Lithuanian vyras, Old Irish fer, Welsh gwr, Gothic wair, Old English wer "man"). Virile member for "penis" is recorded from 1540s.
- Of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an adult male, especially the ability to perform sexually as a male.
- Having or showing masculine spirit, strength, vigor, or power.
- Sexually potent.