[mawr-is, mor-, maw-rees; for 3 also French maw-rees]
- German Moritz. 1521–53, German general: elector of Saxony 1547–53.
- of Nassau,1567–1625, Dutch statesman.
- a male given name.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for maurice
Maurice, a 22-year-old father, says the cops planted weed on him after he was arrested once.Ground Zero of the NYPD Slowdown
January 1, 2015
But, in Jamaica, Maurice Tomlinson was forced to flee his country after his marriage to his Canadian husband made front-page news.A Quorum For Change: The Fight For Global LGBT Equality
December 11, 2014
I was taken into one by Maurice, a gnarled old Vietnam vet in a wooly hat.
Maurice has been in prison for 46 years for a homicide committed at the age of 22.
Maurice de Palo, a pharmacist at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx.New York Nurses Are the Calm in Ebola’s Storm
October 21, 2014
At last I had it, the telegram I had waited for, feared and hoped to receive, signed Maurice.My Double Life
You were going to say than I was on the banks of the St. Maurice?One Day's Courtship
He knew that Maurice had been done to death by the betrayed girl's father, Salvatore.
Like that once Maurice, her sacred possession of youth, sang.
That was on the evening of the night on which Maurice's dead body was found.
- 1521–53, duke of Saxony (1541–53) and elector of Saxony (1547–53). He was instrumental in gaining recognition of Protestantism in Germany
- known as Maurice of Nassau. 1567–1625, prince of Orange and count of Nassau; the son of William the Silent, after whose death he led the United Provinces of the Netherlands in their struggle for independence from Spain (achieved by 1609)
- Frederick Denison. 1805–72, English Anglican theologian and pioneer of Christian socialism
Word Origin and History for maurice
masc. proper name, from French Maurice, from Late Latin Mauritius, from Latin Maurus "inhabitant of Mauretania, Moor" (see Moor).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper