- to increase to the greatest possible amount or degree: to look for ways of maximizing profit.
- to represent at the highest possible estimate; magnify: He maximized his importance in the program, minimizing the contributions of the other participants.
- to make the greatest or fullest use of: Maximize your time by planning ahead.
Also especially British, max·i·mise.
Origin of maximize
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (tr) to make as high or great as possible; increase to a maximum
- maths to find the maximum of (a function)
Word Origin and History for maximises
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper