- one of the 12 apostles. Mark 3:18; John 1:43–48; 6:5–7.
- one of the leaders of the Christian Hellenists in the early church in Jerusalem who afterwards became an evangelist and missionary. Acts 6; 8:26–40.
- KingMetacomet, died 1676, North American Indian chief: sachem of the Wampanoag tribe 1662–76; leader of the Indians in King Philip's War.
- Prince, Duke of Edinburgh,born 1921, consort of Elizabeth II.
- a male given name: from a Greek word meaning “lover of horses.”
Examples from the Web for metacomet
Historical Examples of metacomet
The Metacomet backed clear at once and started rapidly in pursuit.Admiral Farragut
A. T. Mahan
This request was granted, and the Metacomet despatched with them.
The eldest son was named Wamsutta, and the second Metacomet.Four American Indians
Edson L. Whitney
He died in 1661, at the age of eighty, leaving two sons, Mooanum and Metacomet.America, Volume 5 (of 6)
The night after the battle the Metacomet was turned into a hospital ship and the wounded of both sides were taken to Pensacola.The Civil War Through the Camera
Henry W. (Henry William) Elson
- New Testament
- one of the twelve apostles of Jesus
- Also: Philip the Evangelistone of the seven deacons appointed by the early Church
- Also: Philip the Tetrarchone of the sons of Herod the Great, who was ruler of part of former Judaea (4 bc –34 ad) (Luke 3:1)
- King, American Indian name Metacomet. died 1676, American Indian chief, the son of Massasoit. He waged King Philip's War against the colonists of New England (1675–76) and was killed in battle
- Prince. another name for the (Duke of): Edinburgh Prince. another name for the (Duke of) Edinburgh