- a zoological group comprising the multicellular animals.
Origin of Metazoa
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for metazoan
In the Metazoan body each cell performs, in co-operation with many other similar cells, some one special function or process.Elementary Zoology, Second Edition
Vernon L. Kellogg
- any multicellular animal of the group Metazoa : includes all animals except sponges
- of, relating to, or belonging to the Metazoa
C19: from New Latin Metazoa; see meta-, -zoa
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A subdivision of the animal kingdom that includes all multicellular animal organisms having cells that are differentiated and form tissues and organs.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- Any of the animals belonging to the subkingdom Metazoa, having a body made up of differentiated cells arranged in tissues and organs. All multicellular animals besides sponges are metazoans.
- A multicellular animal. No longer in scientific use.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.