- a Titaness, the daughter of Oceanus and Tethys and the mother of Athena by Zeus. Zeus swallowed Metis, and Athena was born from his head.
Examples from the Web for metises
Historical Examples of metises
Many provinces were entirely deserted by the Creoles and Metises, in consequence of the furious animosity of the coloured race.
- a person of mixed parentage
- the offspring or a descendant of a French Canadian and a North American Indian
- a member or descendant of a group of such people, who established themselves in Manitoba and Saskatchewan as a distinct political and cultural force during the nineteenth century
- US a person having one eighth Black ancestry; octoroon
Word Origin for Métis
first wife of Zeus, from Greek Metis, literally "advice, wisdom, counsel; cunning, skill, craft," from PIE root *me- "to measure" (see meter (n.2)).