- a combining form meaning “measure,” used in the formation of compound words: metronome.
Origin of metro-1
combining form representing Greek métron measure
- a combining form meaning “uterus,” used in the formation of compound words: metrorrhagia.
Also especially before a vowel, metr-.
Origin of metro-2
combining form representing Greek mḗtra womb
- a combining form representing metropolis or metropolitan in compound words: metroflight; metroland; Metroliner.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
before a vowel metr-
- indicating the uterusmetrorrhagia
from Greek mētra womb
- indicating a measuremetronome
from Greek metron measure
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.