[ ahr-tik-yuh-ley-shuh n ]
/ ɑrˌtɪk yəˈleɪ ʃən /
an act or the process of articulating: the articulation of a form; the articulation of a new thought.
- the act or process of articulating speech.
- the adjustments and movements of speech organs involved in pronouncing a particular sound, taken as a whole.
- any one of these adjustments and movements.
- any speech sound, especially a consonant.
the act of jointing.
a jointed state or formation; a joint.
- a joint or place between two parts where separation may take place spontaneously, as at the point of attachment of a leaf.
- a node in a stem, or the space between two nodes.
Anatomy, Zoology. a joint, as the joining or juncture of bones or of the movable segments of an arthropod.
- the positioning of teeth in a denture, usually on an articulator, for correct occlusion.
- the bringing of opposing tooth surfaces into contact with each other.
- the relations of the upper and lower natural or artificial teeth in occlusion.
a measure of the effectiveness of a telephonic transmission system in reproducing speech comprehensibly, expressed as the percentage of speech units uttered that is correctly understood.
How Hip Is Your Lingo? Take Our Slang Quiz!
If you aren’t already skilled in slang, then this quiz can get you up to speed in no time!
Question 1 of 11
OK Boomer can be perceived as pejorative, but it is mostly considered to be _____
Origin of articulation
OTHER WORDS FROM articulation
ar·tic·u·la·to·ry [ahr-tik-yuh-luh-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee] /ɑrˈtɪk yə ləˌtɔr i, -ˌtoʊr i/, adjectivear·tic·u·la·to·ri·ly, adverbmis·ar·tic·u·la·tion, nounre·ar·tic·u·la·tion, noun
sub·ar·tic·u·la·tion, nounun·ar·tic·u·la·to·ry, adjective
Words nearby articulation
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020
British Dictionary definitions for misarticulation
/ (ɑːˌtɪkjʊˈleɪʃən) /
the act or process of speaking or expressing in words
- the process of articulating a speech sound
- the sound so produced, esp a consonant
the act or the state of being jointed together
the form or manner in which something is jointed
- a joint such as that between bones or arthropod segments
- the way in which jointed parts are connected
botany the part of a plant at which natural separation occurs, such as the joint between leaf and stem
a joint or jointing
Derived forms of articulationarticulatory, adjective
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Medical definitions for misarticulation
[ är-tĭk′yə-lā′shən ]
The place of anatomical union, usually movable, between two or more bones.
A joining or connecting together loosely so as to allow motion between the parts.
Distinct connected speech or enunciation.
The contact relationship of the occlusal surfaces of the teeth during jaw movement.
Placement of artificial teeth on a denture base so that the teeth approximate normal position and contact.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Scientific definitions for misarticulation
[ är-tĭk′yə-lā′shən ]
The arrangement of parts connected by joints.
A fixed or movable joint between bones.
A movable joint between inflexible parts of the body of an animal, as the divisions of an appendage in arthropods.
A joint between two separable parts, as a leaf and a stem.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.