- the act or process of articulating speech.
- the adjustments and movements of speech organs involved in pronouncing a particular sound, taken as a whole.
- any one of these adjustments and movements.
- any speech sound, especially a consonant.
- a joint or place between two parts where separation may take place spontaneously, as at the point of attachment of a leaf.
- a node in a stem, or the space between two nodes.
- the positioning of teeth in a denture, usually on an articulator, for correct occlusion.
- the bringing of opposing tooth surfaces into contact with each other.
- the relations of the upper and lower natural or artificial teeth in occlusion.
Origin of articulation
OTHER WORDS FROM articulation
Words nearby articulation
How to use articulation in a sentence
Consider the most infamous articulation of Christian nationalism’s anti-democratic goals from Paul Weyrich, co-founder of the Moral Majority.The Growing Anti-Democratic Threat of Christian Nationalism in the U.S.|Andrew Whitehead and Samuel Perry|May 27, 2021|Time
That confidence comes not just from the added articulation, ride quality, and grip but also from the new track width, which has increased by three inches.
On actual off-road trails, where speeds are much slower and obstacles much larger, the new levels of articulation help keep the tires in contact with the ground through more challenging terrain.
That Bronco is going to be the most capable stock 4x4 ever sold, but my wife’s Land Cruiser is able to beat its front articulation by over 10 percent.
This was simple, strong, and granted vehicles so endowed with the easy ability to access a lot of wheel articulation.
Smith speaks with perfect articulation and a vacuous undertone laces her words.
ALEC: The writing is so smart and well crafted that articulation is critical.Alec Baldwin & Robert Carlock On How They Made '30 Rock' So Funny|Alec Baldwin, Robert Carlock|February 1, 2013|DAILY BEAST
To me, this was both a perfect articulation of the problem and the suggestion of a solution.Gael García Bernal on the Human Drama Behind Anonymous Migrant Dead|Gael Garcia Bernal|January 26, 2013|DAILY BEAST
It's not like Kanye brought the articulation either when he apologized on his website.
The quality of artistic beauty in articulation is very important, beyond the mere accuracy which is ordinarily thought of.
To make the effort of articulation a vital impulse in response to a mental concept,—this is the object sought.
Let your articulation be easy, clear, correct in accent, and suited in tone and emphasis to your discourse.The Ladies' Book of Etiquette, and Manual of Politeness|Florence Hartley
Mrs. Carroll made a violent effort at articulation, then shook her head, despairingly.A Dreadful Temptation|Mrs. Alex. McVeigh Miller
A crunching of feet upon the gravel mixed in with the articulation of the sea—steps light as if they were winged.The Well-Beloved|Thomas Hardy
British Dictionary definitions for articulation
- the process of articulating a speech sound
- the sound so produced, esp a consonant
- a joint such as that between bones or arthropod segments
- the way in which jointed parts are connected