- Biology. bearing either only males or only females.
- Genetics. pertaining to a character controlled by one pair of genes.
Origin of monogenic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for monogenic
Historical Examples of monogenic
In asexual (monogenic) reproduction there is continuity of the same idioplasm.A Mechanico-Physiological Theory of Organic Evolution
Carl Von Ngeli
- genetics of or relating to an inherited character difference that is controlled by a single gene
- (of animals) producing offspring of one sex
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Of or relating to monogenesis; monogenetic.
- Relating to monogenism.
- Of or regulated by one gene or one of a pair of allelic genes, as an inherited characteristic or a hereditary disease.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.