- sharply caustic or sarcastic, as wit or a speaker; biting.
- burning; corrosive.
- having the property of fixing colors, as in dyeing.
- a substance used in dyeing to fix the coloring matter, especially a metallic compound, as an oxide or hydroxide, that combines with the organic dye and forms an insoluble colored compound or lake in the fiber.
- an adhesive substance for binding gold or silver leaf to a surface.
- an acid or other corrosive substance used in etching to eat out the lines, areas, etc.
- Music. mordent.
- to impregnate or treat with a mordant.
Origin of mordant
Synonyms for mordant
Examples from the Web for mordantly
Contemporary Examples of mordantly
Rylance was unforgettable as the mordantly sly king in Richard III, giving a brilliant new twist to a classic role.Who Will Win the Tony Awards?
June 7, 2014
Booklist says her “brilliantly structured stories are mordantly funny, haunting, and wise, making for a glorious collection.”This Week's Hot Reads
The Daily Beast
November 22, 2010
Historical Examples of mordantly
Another notable figure was Tom Hood the younger, mordantly humorous.The Letters of Ambrose Bierce
- sarcastic or caustic
- having the properties of a mordant
- a substance used before the application of a dye, possessing the ability to fix colours in textiles, leather, etcSee also lake 2 (def. 1)
- an acid or other corrosive fluid used to etch lines on a printing plate
- (tr) to treat (a fabric, yarn, etc) with a mordant
Word Origin for mordant
late 15c., "caustic" (of words, speech), from Middle French mordant, literally "biting," present participle of mordre "to bite," from Latin mordere "to bite, bite into; nip, sting;" figuratively "to pain, cause hurt," perhaps from PIE root mer- (2) "to rub away, harm" (see smart (v.)). Related: Mordantly. The noun sense in dyeing is first recorded 1791; the adjective in this sense is from 1902. Related: Mordancy; mordantly.
- Serving to fix colors in dyeing.
- A reagent, such as tannic acid, that fixes dyes to cells, tissues, or other materials.
- To treat with a mordant.