- the fibers or yarn in a piece of fabric as differentiated from the fabric itself.
- the direction of threads in a woven fabric in relation to the selvage.
verb (used with object)
- to remove the hair from (skins).
- to soften and raise the grain of (leather).
QUIZ YOURSELF ON PARENTHESES AND BRACKETS APLENTY!
Idioms for grain
Origin of grain
OTHER WORDS FROM grain
Example sentences from the Web for grain
Sugar, honey, and salt will never need them, but grain, powdered milk, and other foods will definitely need them.How to stock your pantry to endure a long, uncertain winter|By Tim MacWelch/Outdoor Life|November 9, 2020|Popular Science
Starting in the 1980s it began to attract attention as a healthy traditional grain, and benefited from extensive research and marketing.New Veggies for a Warming Planet - Issue 92: Frontiers|Viviane Callier|November 4, 2020|Nautilus
Now I don’t have any serious study behind this claim, so take this with a grain of salt.Google’s featured snippets: How to get your YouTube video featured in Google|Ann Smarty|October 28, 2020|Search Engine Watch
If you eat fruit, vegetables, grains or potatoes, thank a plant too.
It’s not easy going against the grain in a small community, but it’s not really new to our family.I Own a Coffee Shop in a Small Town. We’re the Only Business That Requires Masks.|Trisha Larson|October 16, 2020|Eater
Order their bacon egg fancy, a toasted sandwich with cheddar cheese, avocado, red onion, and house mayo on multigrain.
British Dictionary definitions for grain
- the general direction or arrangement of the fibrous elements in paper or woodto saw across the grain
- the pattern or texture of wood resulting from such an arrangementthe attractive grain of the table
- the granular texture of a rock, mineral, etc
- the appearance of a rock, mineral, etc, determined by the size and arrangement of its constituents
- the outer (hair-side) layer of a hide or skin from which the hair or wool has been removed
- the pattern on the outer surface of such a hide or skin
verb (mainly tr)
- to remove the hair or wool from (a hide or skin) before tanning
- to raise the grain pattern on (leather)
Derived forms of graingrainer, noungrainless, adjective
Word Origin for grain
Medical definitions for grain
Scientific definitions for grain
Idioms and Phrases with grain
see against the grain; with a grain of salt.