- any segment of embryonic mesoderm that develops into skeletal muscle in the adult
- any of the segmentally arranged blocks of muscle in lower vertebrates such as fishes
Examples from the Web for myotome
Historical Examples of myotome
The basisphenoid is a little bone above the myotome or tube in which runs the rectus muscle of the eye.A Guide to the Study of Fishes, Volume 1 (of 2)
David Starr Jordan
He describes in the dorsal part the formation of myotome and sclerotome, as in the Craniota.
At first the myotome (Fig. 159, A) is confined to the dorsal region on each side of the spinal cord and notochord.
- The segment of a somite in a vertebrate embryo that differentiates into skeletal muscle.muscle plate
- A muscle or group of muscles derived from one somite and innervated by a single segment of a spinal nerve.
- A knife for dividing muscle.