- a city in and the capital of Kenya, in the SW part.
- a republic in E Africa: member of the Commonwealth of Nations; formerly a British crown colony and protectorate. 223,478 sq. mi. (578,808 sq. km). Capital: Nairobi.
- Mount, an extinct volcano in central Kenya. 17,040 feet (5194 meters).
Examples from the Web for nairobi
After four days he was airlifted to Nairobi and to his family.A Belgian Prince, Gorillas, Guerrillas & the Future of the Congo
November 6, 2014
The number of miles between Nairobi and the Ebola outbreak zone in West Africa.Ebola Could Deal a Death Blow to Africa’s Wildlife
November 3, 2014
Director Dan Reed, a tall, bald-headed Brit, landed in Nairobi soon after the attack.
Margie Brand was at Westgate Mall in Nairobi to buy groceries at Nakumatt, the best-stocked store in the country.
The 1998 bombings of U.S. embassies in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and Nairobi, Kenya by Al-Qaeda killed 224 people.Document Dump Shows Bill Clinton Was Skeptical About Osama bin Laden
July 18, 2014
If he is a sportsman, the outfitters in Nairobi will know who he is.
We were still in sight of the distant house-tops of Nairobi.
Quinine and calomel are essentials and may be bought in Nairobi.
They will have the whole outfit ready for you by the time you arrive in Nairobi.
There is no denying the fact that there is considerable drinking in Nairobi.
- the capital of Kenya, in the southwest, at an altitude of 1650 m (5500 ft): founded in 1899; became capital in 1905; commercial and industrial centre; the Nairobi National Park (a game reserve) is nearby. Pop: 2 818 000 (2005 est)
- a republic in E Africa, on the Indian Ocean: became a British protectorate in 1895 and a colony in 1920; gained independence in 1963 and is a member of the Commonwealth. Tea and coffee constitute about a third of the total exports. Official languages: Swahili and English. Religions: Christian majority, animist minority. Currency: shilling. Capital: Nairobi. Pop: 44 037 656 (2013 est). Area: 582 647 sq km (224 960 sq miles)
- Mount Kenya an extinct volcano in central Kenya: the second highest mountain in Africa; girth at 2400 m (8000 ft) is about 150 km (95 miles). The regions above 3200 m (10 500 ft) constitute Mount Kenya National Park . Height: 5199 m (17 058 ft)Local name: Kirinyaga
Word Origin and History for nairobi
African nation, named for Mount Kenya, which probably is a shortening of Kikuyu Kirinyaga, from kere nyaga, literally "white mountain" (it is snowcapped). Related: Kenyan.
Capital of Kenya and largest city in the country, located in southern Kenya.