- a slender, pointed, steel instrument used in sewing or piercing tissues, as in suturing.
- hypodermic needle.
verb (used with object), nee·dled, nee·dling.
- to prod or goad (someone) to a specified action: We needled her into going with us.
- to tease: We needled him about his big ears.
verb (used without object), nee·dled, nee·dling.
Words nearby needle
Idioms for needle
Origin of needle
OTHER WORDS FROM needlenee·dle·like, adjective
Examples from the Web for needling
The handicap, after some needling back and forth, was fixed at eight strokes.
They also seem to take special pleasure in needling the clean-cut, well-starched Romney camp.
Jon Stewart warmed up for his Washington rally this weekend by needling the president on the Daily Show.
It might be considered the younger, post-Tiananmen generation's way of needling the power.
And naturally Marina was needling him all the time to buy an automobile.Warren Commission (9 of 26): Hearings Vol. IX (of 15)|The President's Commission on the Assassination of President Kennedy
Chewing the scriber and needling his brain, he slowly built up a list of other possibilities.Deathworld|Harry Harrison
The results are somewhat similar to those obtained by needling, but the clot formed on the large coil of wire is more extensive.
He jerked his head up so fast that something in his neck cracked, needling pain up into his temples and forehead.Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town|Cory Doctorow
If ligation is found to be impracticable, the Moore-Corradi method or Macewen's needling may be tried.
British Dictionary definitions for needling
- another name for stylus (def. 3)
- a small thin pointed device, esp one made of stainless steel, used to transmit the vibrations from a gramophone record to the pick-up
- the long hollow pointed part of a hypodermic syringe, which is inserted into the body
- an informal name for hypodermic syringe
- anger or intense rivalry, esp in a sporting encounter
- (as modifier)a needle match
Word Origin for needle
Medicine definitions for needling (1 of 2)
Medicine definitions for needling (2 of 2)
Science definitions for needling
Idioms and Phrases with needling
In addition to the idiom beginning with needle
- needle in a haystack
- needless to say
- on pins and needles