- a title of Ethiopian royalty.
- (initial capital letter) the Emperor of Ethiopia.
Origin of negus1
- a beverage made of wine and hot water, with sugar, nutmeg, and lemon.
Origin of negus2
Examples from the Web for negus
Historical Examples of negus
Tom has eaten twelve, but he has had four more glasses of negus than Giles.The Christmas Books
William Makepeace Thackeray
Herberts and Wortleys came home with us and had soup and negus.'
"Do take a glass of negus," said another, as her friend gave way to her.The Caxtons, Complete
So much for the delights of “lots of negus, wine, and punch!”
What a horror he seems to have of wine and negus and suchlike things, mamma.
- a hot drink of port and lemon juice, usually spiced and sweetened
Word Origin for negus
- a title of the emperor of Ethiopia
Word Origin for Negus
title of the ruler of Abyssinia, 1590s, from Amharic negush "king," from stem of nagasha "he forced, ruled."