- a new word, meaning, usage, or phrase.
- the introduction or use of new words or new senses of existing words.
- a new doctrine, especially a new interpretation of sacred writings.
- Psychiatry. a new word, often consisting of a combination of other words, that is understood only by the speaker: occurring most often in the speech of schizophrenics.
Origin of neologism
Examples from the Web for neologism
Contemporary Examples of neologism
It inspired endless debate, countless think pieces, and a neologism that instantly penetrated mainstream culture.This Week’s Hot Reads: Jan. 27, 2014
January 27, 2014
In the blink of an eye a neologism was formed, half Turkish, half English.Smiling Under a Cloud of Tear Gas: Elif Shafak on Istanbul’s Streets
June 11, 2013
Captology is a neologism coined by BJ Fogg, director of the very Soviet-sounding Stanford Persuasive Technology Lab.Facebook’s Organ-Donor Option Sounds Good, but Should We Be Paranoid About Privacy?
May 2, 2012
The label stuck, and a search for “santorum” delivers the neologism first.Christine O’Donnell Gets Punked
David A. Graham
August 10, 2011
Historical Examples of neologism
This Bohemian vocabulary is the hell of rhetoric and the paradise of neologism.Bohemians of the Latin Quarter
The latter (the word administration used as a verb) is the only instance of neologism I ever observed in Mr. Madison.
In this one ordinary speech seemed to have been insufficient to describe the blotch, and he had to resort to a neologism.Studies in Forensic Psychiatry
But it observed a very high standard of classical English, a little intolerant of neologism, but not stiff nor jejune.A History of Nineteenth Century Literature (1780-1895)
The locution of which we have made use—passed to the state of—has been condemned as a neologism by M. Royer Collard.Les Misrables
- a newly coined word, or a phrase or familiar word used in a new sense
- the practice of using or introducing neologisms
- rare a tendency towards adopting new views, esp rationalist views, in matters of religion
Word Origin for neologism
Word Origin and History for neologism
- A meaningless word used by a psychotic.